HARTLAND — A furnace fire destroyed a single-family mobile home on Canaan Road early Friday morning.

Five people were in the home when the fire started, but escaped unharmed, Sgt. Ken Grimes of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said. A family pet, a cat, died, he said.

The fire was accidental and began with a furnace malfunction, he said.

The home at 1945 Canaan Road was the residence of Jeffrey Warner, who could not be reached for comment Friday. An employee at the Town Office said the family is being helped by the Red Cross.

The Hartland Fire Department responded shortly after 2 a.m. and was helped by firefighters from Canaan, St. Albans and Skowhegan.

Grimes said that the family does not have insurance and that there were also no smoke alarms in the home, though that is not illegal in a single-family home.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368
[email protected]