RICHMOND — A Kimball Street woman was hurt in a fire that destroyed her home Sunday night.

Police Chief Scott MacMaster said the homeowner, 55-year-old Mary Wasilewski, was taken by ambulance to Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick to be treated for smoke inhalation. Wasilewski was in the hospital’s intensive care unit this morning, MacMaster said, but her injuries initially did not appear to be life-threatening.

Richmond Fire Chief Matt Roberge said Wasilewski was alone in the home at 43 Kimball St. when the fire broke out. Her adult son, Jed Wasilewski, and his female companion were sleeping in a tent on the property. The American Red Cross is assisting Jed Wasilewski and his companion, Roberge said. The man typically stays in a camper on the property, MacMaster said. Neither the camper nor an adjacent garage were damaged by the fire.

Mary Wasilewski, who had been sleeping, was able to get out of the home on her own, Roberge said, but he did not know how she was awakened.

Property records indicate Wasilewski has owned the 1970s-vintage mobile home since 2006. Roberge was unsure about whether the home is insured.

A neighbor reported the fire around 11:30 p.m., the fire chief said.

“It was a fully involved fire, with flames showing all over the trailer,” Roberge said.

Firefighters from Bowdoinham and Dresden helped fight the fire while a crew from Bowdoin stood ready to answer any additional calls in Richmond.

It took about 15 minutes to knock the fire down, Roberge said. Most firefighters left around 2:30 a.m. today. The fire left little more than framing and a portion of the roof.

An investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office arrived at the scene early this morning. Investigators still are trying to determine where and how the fire started, said Sgt. Kenneth Grimes.

Craig Crosby — 621-5642
ccrosby@mainetoday.com