WATERVILLE — A small stove fire damaged a kitchen at an Oak Street apartment Wednesday morning.

Cooking oil left on the stove by the tenant caught fire and ignited the wall behind it, according to Waterville Fire Capt. Rodney Alderman.

The tenant was home alone with her young son and no one else was in the complex, he said. There were no reports of injuries.

Damage was limited to the kitchen, Alderman said.

During the fire, two vehicles ran over a fire hose that was stretched out across Oak street, Alderman said. There was no water in the hose at the time, but in addition to being a civil violation, driving over a fire hose can damage the equipment and disrupt firefighting, Alderman said. Driving over a fire hose can result in a $137 fine, Alderman said.

Waterville Fire and Rescue, Waterville Police and Winslow Fire and Rescue responded to the scene.

Jesse Scardina — 861-9239
[email protected]