SMITHFIELD — A fire at a business was extinguished quickly Tuesday afternoon.

The fire started in a wall at Warren Bros. Construction, on Warren Hill Road, and was reported around 12:30 p.m., Smithfield Fire Chief Jody Easler said.

Easler said it’s not clear what sparked the fire, which drew a crowd of firefighters at the site off Route 8, a short distance from the village center.

The fire briefly prompted emergency crews to block off both ends of the road, which is the former Route 8. Both ends connect to Route 8.

Firefighters from Smithfield, Belgrade and Rome had to dig into the wall of the garage to get to the fire, Easler said.

He said the fire was extinguished quickly, though flames and smoke damaged the wall. Fire crews left the area by 2 p.m.