AUGUSTA — Gov. Paul LePage says the federal government has rejected Maine’s request to declare a disaster for damage caused by the December ice storm.
LePage said Thursday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency determined that damage “was not beyond the capabilities of the state and local governments.” He says no appeal will be filed of the federal decision made last month.
The state documented more than $1.8 million in damage from the ice storm that knocked out power to more than 160,000 homes and businesses and left many in the dark for a week.
In a statement Thursday, LePage thanked all the local responders, road crews, utility workers and volunteers who gave up their Christmas holidays to respond to the ice storm.