ANSON — A young couple who had been preparing to move into a Preble Avenue home has no place to live after a fire destroyed the home Saturday morning.

The home, located at 16 Preble Avenue, was an older mobile home that the pair had been remodeling, said Skyla Murray, 18. She was preparing to move into the home with her boyfriend, Charlie Landry, 20, and was at work Saturday morning when the fire started.

“We were going to sleep here tonight for the first time. Everything was ready, and we were going to have dinner here as soon as I got out of work,” Murray said Saturday.

She said the couple had just spent money on redoing the floors and countertops and were planning to move furniture into the house Saurday night. Instead, they spent most of Saturday afternoon pulling debris our of the mobile home and trying to salvage any wood or metal they could.

“It could have been worse. Luckily, we hadn’t moved any of our personal belongings in yet, so we didn’t lose any of that,” said Landry.

The fire started Saturday morning at around 10 a.m. from an electrical malfunction in a dryer outlet, according to Anson Fire Chief Jeremy Manzer.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they had to shovel snow from around the mobile home and cut out most of the flooring to get to where the fire was, he said.

“There was heavy smoke coming from in and under the trailer. Unfortunately, the house is a total loss. We were hampered by the heavy snowbanks around the trailer, so we spent a long time shoveling snow so we could get in under it,” he said.

No injuries were reported, Manzer said. He said the building wasn’t insured.

Crews from Anson and Madison were on scene for about an hour and a half. Murray and Landry plan to stay with relatives until they can rebuild on the land, Murray said.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368[email protected]