NICE, France — The Latest on attack that killed 84 people in Nice. (Time is EDT, local time in parentheses.)

2:25 p.m. (8:25 p.m.)

Al-Azhar, Sunni Islam’s pre-eminent institution for religious learning, has denounced the truck attack in Nice that killed at least 84 people.

Chaired by Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayyab, Al-Azhar’s statement on Friday described the attack as “hideous” and stressed that such “terrorist, coward actions are disapproved by the tolerant teachings of Islam.”

The statement urged international coordination to combat terrorism, and “rescue the world from its evils.”

Egypt’s Grand Mufti Shawki Allam also condemned the Nice attack, saying the perpetrators of such attacks “have followed the footsteps of the devil, shed blood, and terrorized” innocent people.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi has extended his deepest sympathies to President Francois Hollande and the people of France for “the abhorrent terrorist attack in the French city of Nice.”

2:20 p.m. (8:20 p.m.)

A spokesman for a San Diego law school with a summer program in Nice says U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas left the city about 12 hours before Thursday’s truck attack that killed at least 84 people.

Thomas Jefferson School of Law spokesman Edgar Hopida says Thomas was teaching a class as part of the school’s summer program in Nice. Hopida says the 68-year-old justice left on a flight Thursday morning.

Hopida says the 50 or so students, faculty and staff in the Nice program are accounted for and safe.

1:25 p.m. (7:25 p.m.)

President Barack Obama has ordered flags at U.S. government facilities, including embassies and consulates abroad, to be flown at half-staff for the next four days in memory of the victims of the truck attack in Nice, France.

12:50 p.m. (6:50 p.m.)

Switzerland’s foreign ministry says two citizens of the Alpine country – a woman and a child – were killed in the truck attack in Nice.

The ministry didn’t identify the victims. It said that by late Friday afternoon it had received 48 queries from people concerned that relatives might have been affected, but had been able to contact all but five of those people.

12:45 p.m. (6:45 p.m.)

Lebanon’s militant Hezbollah group has condemned the truck attack in France that killed at least 84 people in Nice during Bastille Day celebrations.

Hezbollah said in a statement Friday that a wave of terrorism hitting the world doesn’t differentiate between “old or young, white or black and is not targeting a specific religion but humanity.”

The group said that “what Western countries are witnessing is a reflection to “terrorism that we are living in our region that has burnt our people.”

12:25 p.m. (6:25 p.m.)

With some people still searching for news of their loved ones after the Nice truck attack, a Facebook site called “SOS Nice” has begun to attract posts from people hoping to be reunited with missing family members.

The site was quickly filling up with photos, appeals and – in some cases – good news.

A 9-year-old and his family “have finally been found!” one recent post said atop a photo of a child sitting in front of a birthday cake.

“More and more people have been found and it’s all thanks to you,” another post said.

But it’s not clear other appeals have been answered.

“No news from Claire who was at the fireworks,” one post said. “She’s 18 years old. If you find her or if you have information, please contact us. Thanks for sharing as much as possible.”

noon (6 p.m.)

France’s justice minister says that the man who drove a truck through crowds at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice, killing at least 84 people, had a record of petty crime but nothing matching the seriousness of Thursday night’s rampage.

Jean-Jacques Urvoas told reporters in Paris that Mohamed Bouhlel “was at the center of several procedures but was sentenced for only one incident” earlier this year.

He said Bouhlel was placed on probation after throwing a wooden pallet at another driver during a confrontation.

The minister said Bouhlel was handed a suspended sentence since he had never been convicted. He was under the obligation of presenting himself at a Nice police station once a week and posting bail. He respected these obligations rigorously.”

11:55 p.m. (5:55 p.m.)

Brazilian authorities said that the attack in Nice will make them review Olympic security preparations and probably increase the number of checkpoints in Rio de Janeiro at the Aug. 5-21 games.

11:45 p.m. (5:45 p.m.)

A Scottish couple has been reported as missing after the attacks in Nice.

Family members said Friday they have been unable to locate 27-year-old Carole Annie Cowan and 30-year-old Ross Cowan after the attack. The couple was on holiday in Nice at the time.

Carole Annie Cowan’s sister Amy Stanton said she has asked Britain’s Foreign Office for help. She has also posted an urgent appeal for aid on Facebook.

British officials say a small number of Britons were injured, but haven’t provided details.

11:15 a.m. (5:15 p.m.)

The Paris prosecutor says 202 people were wounded in the Nice truck attack, with 25 on life support and 52 in critical condition.

Prosecutor Francois Molins said that the death toll still stood at 84 people.

11:10 a.m. (5:10 p.m.)

Authorities in Berlin say that two students and a teacher from a high school in the city were killed in the truck attack in Nice.

Reinhard Naumann, the mayor of Berlin’s Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf district, said he was “deeply dismayed” by the death of the students and teacher from the Paula Fuerst School. The victims weren’t identified.

11:05 a.m. (5:05 p.m.)

The Eiffel Tower will be lit red-white-and-blue Friday evening in honor of the Nice attack victims, according to the monument’s managers.

One of the world’s most recognizable landmarks, the Eiffel Tower is routinely lit up in various colors in solidarity with victims of extremist violence across the world.

At least 84 people were killed in Thursday night’s truck attack in Nice.

11 a.m. (5 p.m.)

French President Francois Hollande and Provence Alpes d’Azur regional president Christian Estrosi were booed by an assembled crowd as their convoy drove through Nice following the French leader’s televised address.

Christelle Hespel says that she’s disgusted by both men — saying they’d failed to protect her city. The 38-year-old said: “Mr. Estrosi is from the right. Mr. Hollande from the left. I say it and I say it loud, these two are killers.”

Hollande’s government, whose popularity has hit record lows, has recently been buffeted by allegations that France’s intelligence services have failed to get a handle on the country’s jihadi threat.

10:55 a.m. (4:55 p.m.)

Interpol is sending a response team to the French city of Nice to help identify victims and aid in the investigation into the truck attack that left at least 84 people dead.

According to the international police organization, the team will include anti-terrorism specialists.

10:50 a.m. (4:50 p.m.)

An Egyptian tourist who filmed police shooting the truck driver who mowed people down in Nice says he saw the attacker firing back through a window.

Nader El Shafei says the truck ground to halt right in front of him after “smashing a girl” and leaving a trail of bodies on the Promenade des Anglais.

He told The Associated Press in an interview: “I kept waving to him, ‘Stop, stop! There are people under your truck.'”

He said the driver pulled out a gun when police closed in on the halted truck.

El Shafei said “the police started shooting. I saw the gun in his hand and I saw him shooting through the window.”

Video he filmed showed that several dozen shots were fired.

10:00 a.m. (4:00 p.m.)

German tourist Richard Gutjahr says he could hear angry shouts outside and see a big white truck rolling slowly down a road supposed to be blocked off as a party zone. He picked up his camera — and captured a key moment in the terrible path of the Nice attack.

Gutjahr’s footage, filmed from a first-floor hotel balcony, shows the truck chased by police officers. An unidentified motorcyclist pulls alongside the truck, leaps off his vehicle and clings to the door of the truck in a bid to stop the attacker. The motorcycle is partly crushed under the truck’s tires as the motorcyclist, possibly a police officer, clings on and Gutjahr sees two other officers on foot take aim and fire individual shots at the truck’s windscreen.

Gutjahr said in a telephone interview: “I thought it could either be a drunk driver or a terror attack, until that incredibly brave man jumped on the truck.”

9:40 a.m. (3:40 p.m.)

Several neighbors at the address listed for the man identified as the truck driver who killed dozens of people in Nice say said police officers raided the 12th floor apartment earlier Friday — but that the man had not lived there in three years. The apartment was occupied by the man’s estranged wife, who was led away by authorities, three of the neighbors said. The apartment showed visible signs of having been forced in,including a hole where the lock had been.

Four young men inside the apartment told The Associated Press they were family of the wife, who they said was divorcing her husband.

The family members and the neighbors refused to identify themselves.

9:25 a.m. (3:25 p.m.)

French President Francois Hollande says the truck attack was done “to satisfy the cruelty of an individual, and maybe a group.”

Speaking after visiting the hospital where victims were treated, he also said that France was “facing a struggle which will be long.”

9:10 a.m. (3:10 p.m.)

Speaking after a visit to a hospital in Nice, French President Francois Hollande said that some 50 people were between life and death following a gruesome truck attack that has already killed 84 people.

Hollande, looking somber and flanked by French Prime Minister Manuel Valls, said that “it’s to hit France that this individual committed this terrorist act.”

8:40 a.m. (2:40 p.m.)

Morocco’s consulate in Marseille has told The Associated Press that at least 2 Moroccans were among the victims of the attack in Nice.

The consulate said that a woman and her son died in the massacre that killed at least 84 — many of whom had been watching the fireworks on France’s Bastille Day.

The consulate did not release names of the victims.

8:35 a.m. (2:35 p.m.)

Italian Premier Matteo Renzi says the pain of the attack in Nice was made worse because so many children were killed and maimed on France’s national holiday.

In a Facebook post, Enzi wrote: “We’re used to seeing postcards from Nice full of beauty, not images of death with a doll near a destroyed stroller. Reacting is a moral duty.”

Italy has told its local prefects and police chiefs to reassess security measures and reinforce “sensitive targets.”

8:30 a.m.

An Associated Press reporter says the alert at Nice airport has been lifted, with passengers who had been evacuated being allowed back into the terminal to pick up their bags.

The airport’s website showed flights leaving and landing as usual. In a message posted to the site’s home page, the airport said: “Despite the dreadful events that occurred, access to the airport and Air traffic won’t be disrupted.”

8:10 a.m. (2:10 p.m.)

Two French officials say the man who carried out the truck attack in Nice was a Tunisian living in the city. The officials, who could not speak publicly about the investigation, confirmed that the ID found in the truck matched the dead attacker.

They said the man was living legally in France. Tunisia is a former French colony.

8:00 a.m. (2:00 p.m.)

Passengers have been ordered out of Nice Airport, an Associated Press reporter at the scene says. She said the terminal building has been sealed off and that military personnel are visible inside.

7:40 a.m. (1:40 p.m.)

Spain says it is maintaining its national security alert at one step below maximum following the Nice attack but has stepped up police controls in transport centers such as airports, tourism sites and places where large numbers of people gather.

Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz said Spain and France had agreed to continue enforcing tighter police controls at border crossings that were introduced for the recent European football championship and the Tour de France.

Speaking after meeting with Spanish police officials and political party representatives, he said maximum alert level five would be applied only if security officials unanimously felt a terror attack was imminent.

7:30 a.m. (1:30 p.m.)

The foreign ministries of Armenia, Ukraine and Switzerland are reporting one of their citizens killed in Nice.

Armenian officials first reported two deaths, but later said just one death was confirmed.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin says one Ukrainian was killed but the ministry would not identify the victim citing the family’s right to privacy. Two Ukrainians were injured.

Switzerland’s foreign ministry says a Swiss woman was killed, but declined to provide further details for privacy reasons.

7:20 a.m. (1:20 p.m.)

Italy has told all local prefects and police chiefs to reassess security measures and reinforce all “sensitive targets” following the Nice attack.

Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Friday that at a national level, Italy’s security alert remained at the second-highest level, just under that of being under actual attack.

Alfano recalled that the Islamic State group as far back as 2014 had urged sympathizers to employ “car jihad” to attack the West. He said that Italy had taken note, for example, and closed to traffic the main boulevard leading to the Vatican during Pope Francis’ Holy Year, precisely to limit risks to big gatherings of pedestrians.

At a press conference after convening his anti-terror agency chiefs, Alfano said the monitoring of Italy’s prisons in the hours after the Nice carnage showed no evidence of sympathy or support among Muslim inmates, unlike previous attacks.

6:55 a.m. (12:55 p.m.)

French President Francois Hollande and Prime Minister Manuel Valls have both arrived in Nice by plane.

The pair posed with Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve on the airport tarmac in a show of solidarity.

The three politicians met with security officials before driving off.

Cazeneuve, who’s said that “we are at war with terrorists,” was the first to travel to the scene of the massacre that left at least 84 dead.

6:45 a.m. (12:45 p.m.)

British Prime Minister Theresa May has condemned the Nice attack and called for a “redoubling” of efforts to defeat violent extremists.

The new prime minister called the attack “horrifying” and said: “We must redouble our efforts to defeat these brutal murderers who want to destroy our way of life.”

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said it is believed that a Briton was injured in the attack. Foreign Office officials say they have not yet confirmed that report.

6:40 a.m. (12:40 p.m.)

U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby says two Americans were among those killed in Nice on Thursday when a large truck plowed through a crowd gathered for fireworks.

Kirby didn’t identify the individuals by name, citing privacy concerns.

He says the U.S. is providing assistance to those affected by the attack, while the embassy tries to account for all Americans in the Mediterranean city.

6:20 a.m. (12:20 p.m.)

Two French police officials say identity papers found alongside the attacker behind a killing spree in southeastern Nice belonged to a 31-year-old Frenchman of Tunisian descent with previous misdemeanor convictions but no known link to extremist groups.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, said Friday that the papers were those of Nice resident. They cautioned that DNA and identity checks with acquaintances were pending to fully verify the identity.

The suspect died in a shootout with police after mowing down dozens of people with a truck on Nice’s seaside Promenade des Anglais during national Bastille Day revelry Thursday.

The Paris prosecutor’s office, which is leading the investigation, declined to comment.