The country’s first digital census shuts down temporarily after four attacks from overseas.

CANBERRA, Australia — Australia’s first attempt to conduct a census online was in disarray after several cyberattacks on the website, an official said Wednesday.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics shut down the site to protect data on Tuesday night after four denial-of-service attacks that came from somewhere overseas, chief statistician David Kalisch said.

“It was an attack,” Kalisch told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. “It was quite clear it was malicious.”

The 2 million Australians who managed to access the site on Tuesday before it was shut down were assured that their private data was secure.

“There has been no attack on the information, it was an attack on the system. The information is secure and safe,” Kalisch said.

Australia’s Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim said in a statement he was investigating the cyberattack “to ensure that no personal information has been compromised.”

Australian security officials were attempting to determine the source of the attacks.

Kalisch said “a gap” in the digital defenses of the bureau of statistics had been fixed and the site would reopen Wednesday.

The census is conducted every five years. The decision to conduct it online and to keep the information for four years instead of the usual 18 months heightened privacy concerns.

Several senators announced that they would risk fines by refusing to include their names and addresses on census forms. Officials attempted to allay fears by boasting the bureau of statistics had never been hacked.