Singer-songwriter Don McLean said in a written statement through his attorney Thursday that he has had no contact with his former wife, Patrisha McLean, since January.

McLean’s statement, issued by attorney Eric Morse, was in response to a judge’s order Wednesday that McLean stop disparaging his ex-wife on social media and have no contact with her for two years.

“I have had absolutely no contact with Patrisha McLean since the night of Jan. 18, 2016,” McLean wrote. “I do not wish to have any future contact with her. I have not disparaged her in social media, nor has there ever been a finding that I had.

“The order was approved by a judge, but only after mutual agreement and was without any finding of abuse. I have moved on and am happy in my life and career, and intend to address any differences with my ex-wife in court. That is the appropriate forum, not in the press.”

Judge Michael Roberts issued the protection order to Patrisha McLean in Hancock County Court in Ellsworth less than eight months after Don McLean pleaded guilty to a series of domestic violence offenses stemming from a January 2016 assault against his ex-wife at their home in Camden.

The 71-year-old McLean also has been ordered to pay $5,500 in legal fees on his ex-wife’s behalf.

Patrisha McLean sought the order in January after reporting several postings in December from a “Dirk” to Don McLean’s fan page making disparaging remarks about her. She said she believed that Dirk was actually Don McLean.

Patrisha McLean said she also received an email at the same time from an unknown address that called her obscene names and was signed with an obscene name. She said those were the same names that her former husband used to call her during their 29-year marriage.

Last month, her attorney, Christopher MacLean, filed a request with the Hancock County Court to send a letter to a Canadian court in an effort to subpoena records from a Canadian communications company in order to trace where the email originated from. No action was taken and there was no finding of where the postings and email originated.

In his response Thursday, the “American Pie” singer wrote that he resented the implication that he had contacted his former wife.

“There was no hearing or finding of fault with any action on my part, and I resent the implication in the press that there was. The divorce was over months ago, and a settlement was given to Patrisha. I have always been fair to her, will continue to do so, and will obey the law,” he wrote.