Yarmough police say a 13-year-old North Carolina boy threatened online to carry out a shooting at Yarmouth High School.
The boy, who was connected to Yarmouth students through online gaming, on Sunday sent a Yarmouth girl a message on Instagram that said “she should quit school because the individual would shoot the place up,” Yarmouth Police Chief Michael Morrill said Monday.
The threat was reported to police by the girl and her mother around 11:30 a.m. By that evening, police working with law enforcement in North Carolina were able to identify the boy and determine that the threat was not credible, Morrill said.
“We felt he had no ability to carry out the threat,” he said. He would not provide more details, citing the ongoing investigation.
School is being held as scheduled Monday.
In a letter to parents, Superintendent Andrew Dolloff said he was told by police Sunday afternoon that the threat had been made against Yarmouth High School “from an unknown source through a social media site.” School administrators worked with police to determine the source and credibility of the threat, he said.
“That individual is located out of state and is not considered to pose any danger to our schools,” Dolloff said.
Morrill said the case remains under investigation and the 13-year-old has not been charged. He declined to provide any specific information about the teen or his location. He said the case will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office to determine what charges should be brought against the teen.