MANILA, Philippines — At least 36 people suffocated from smoke Friday after a gunman stormed into a casino-hotel complex and set several gambling tables on fire.

Metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde said none of the bodies had gunshot wounds.

The suspect was found dead early Friday of an apparent suicide.

The attack at the Resorts World Manila sent people running out to the streets in a panic. Dozens had minor injuries suffered during the stampede to escape.

The gunman stormed the complex early Friday, torching gambling tables and stuffing a backpack with casino chips before fleeing.

The attack was initially believed by some to be an act of terrorism. The violence unfolded as government forces were engaged in a second week of fighting against Muslim militants aligned with the Islamic State group in the southern city of Marawi.

“He would have shot all the people gambling there” if it had been terrorism, national police chief Ronald dela Rosa said. “But he did not hurt anyone.”

Authorities suspect the motive was robbery. “It’s either he lost in the casino and wanted to recoup his losses or he went totally nuts,” Albayalde said.

Dela Rosa said security footage showed the gunman ignoring a security guard who tried to question him at the entrance to the complex. He did not hurt the guard.

The gunman stole gambling chips, shot TV screens and set gambling tables ablaze by pouring gasoline on them, dela Rosa said.

It was not clear how the gunman got gasoline and an assault rifle into the casino, but the assailant did not fire at people.

The only gunshot wound was a guard at the complex, who accidentally shot himself when the suspect entered the room, authorities said.