PORTLAND — A Bangor man is in critical condition at Maine Medical Center today after he was shot by police while being pursued as a suspect in a reported burglary on Allen Avenue, according to Portland police.

Jonathan Mitchell, 29, was arrested at 6:20 a.m. – nearly two hours after the pursuit began – in an apartment at 150 Washington Ave.

Mitchell  is charged with criminal trespass, operating after revocation of his driver’s license as a habitual offender, eluding a police officer, theft by unauthorized use and reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon.

The chase began around 4:40 a.m., when officers went to 94 Allen Ave. in response to a 911 call reporting a residential burglary in progress, said Lt. Gary Rogers, public information officer.

Mitchell fled in a black Volkswagen Jetta, which officers soon spotted traveling on Washington Avenue, near Inverness Street. The officers pursued the vehicle, but the driver refused to stop.

The officers followed the vehicle onto Veranda Street and then onto Fairfield Street, a short, dead-end lane that runs perpendicular to Interstate 295.


It was on Fairfield Street that Mitchell was shot, under circumstances that Rogers wouldn’t discuss. Still, the suspect drove away in the Jetta, traveling west on Veranda Street, where officers lost contact with the vehicle.

At around 6:20 a.m., officers found the Jetta parked and unoccupied near 150 Washington Ave., a three-unit apartment building in the East End neighborhood. They found Mitchell in an apartment at that address.

Mitchell was arrested and transported by ambulance to Maine Medical Center, where he was operated on earlier today, according to The Associated Press.

He was in critical condition this afternoon, according to a nursing supervisor. He is under police watch because of the charges filed against him, Rogers said.

No officers were injured in the chase. A news conference will be held Monday at a time to be determined.

The incident remains under investigation by the Portland Police Department and the Maine Attorney General’s Office.


Rogers declined to provide any additional information.

Fairfield Street was blocked to traffic until 1 p.m. today as police detectives inverviewed residents and officers involved in the case, according to Cheryl Wallace, who lives in one of four houses on the street.

Sirens and gunfire woke Wallace and her family around 5 a.m. Her husband, Charles, said he heard two pops and knew they were gunshots.

“He jumped out of bed,” she said.

Wallace pointed to lines that she police painted on the street to show where the suspect drove the Jetta. The lines indicate that Mitchell drove to the end of the lane, made a sharp U-turn onto a neighbor’s lawn and headed back out to Veranda Street.

A 28-year resident of Fairfield Street, Wallace said incidents involving police have grown more common in her neighborhood, in part because of its proximity to I-295.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.