NEWPORT — A mobile home was nearly destroyed early Monday after a chimney fire spread and consumed the residence.

Newport Fire Chief Jeff Chretien said the call came in about midnight of the fire at a home on Rutland Road.

About 15 firefighters arrived, from Corinna and Newport, and by that time the fire had spread into rooms and walls, he said. Corinna firefighters arrived first and extinguished most of the blaze. Crews left the scene about 2 a.m.

One woman was home at the time, but she got out safely. No one was injured, Chretien said.

“I’d say it’s almost a total loss,” Chretien said. “They lost the top of the roof and the side of the wall.”

Chretien said the mobile home was being rented and that the owner had insurance. The state Fire Marshal’s Office was not contacted because the fire’s cause was deemed accidental, he said.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.