WARREN — A Madison man who was arrested this month as a fugitive from justice in connection with a Florida homicide died Saturday in a Maine prison, according to the Maine Department of Corrections.

Thirty-three-year-old Shaun D. Corson was an inmate of the state prison in Warren, and he appears to have hanged himself in his cell.

Associate Corrections Commissioner Jody Breton said in a news release that Corson died Saturday about 1 p.m. at the prison.

State police and the medical examiner were notified Saturday and both were reviewing the death, Breton said Sunday.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said Sunday that the death is a suspected suicide.

It’s unclear what Corson used to hang himself and detectives are still investigating the death, according to McCausland.


McCausland said he didn’t have any other details about the circumstances of the death.

Corson’s body was taken to the morgue in Augusta, and the Medical Examiner’s Office plans to conduct an autopsy on the body, according to Cindy Elliott, of the examiner’s office.

Breton said she could not comment Sunday on the prison staff’s response to Corson’s death.

She described the procedure prison employees follow when an inmate has a medical problem.

There is at least one registered nurse on duty at a state prison facility at all times, Breton said.

Doctors work at the prisons periodically and someone from the on-site medical staff is called whenever corrections officers find an inmate having a medical problem, she said.


Corson had appeared in district court in Skowhegan earlier this month on a fugitive from justice warrant from Jacksonville, Fla., where he is accused of killing his girlfriend, Stephanie Ann Slevin, 31, and stealing her car.

The fugitive from justice warrant heard July 8 listed only a charge of grand theft auto, but District Attorney Evert Fowle has said Corson is also charged with Slevin’s homicide.

Corson was ordered at the court appearance to serve the remaining three years of a suspended sentence on a Maine probation stemming from a 2002 arson, in which he was convicted of burning down his then-girlfriend’s house in Anson, and was sentenced to 10 years with all but four suspended, and six years probation.

He had been transferred from Somerset County jail to the state prison on July 18th for the probation revocation, according to Breton.

Corson’s mother, Sandra Walker, declined to comment Sunday on her son’s death.

He was arrested July 7 by U.S. Marshals and Maine police on Ward Hill Road in Norridgewock, near the Madison town line, according to authorities.

Staff Writer Doug Harlow contributed to this report.

David Robinson — 861-9287

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.