KENNEBUNKPORT — Federal workplace safety officials are proposing nearly $17,000 in penalties against a Monmouth company following the death of two men working in a sewage tank in Kennebunkport.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited the employer for four safety violations, including failure to ventilate the area where the men were working and failing to test the air quality before and during the work.

OSHA also said there was no system in place for an emergency rescue for the employees of Stevens Electric & Pump Service, a Monmouth company that was doing work at a motel, the Lodge at Turbats Creek.

Fifty-eight-year-old Winfield Studley of Windsor and 70-year-old Richard Kemp of Monmouth died Sept. 27 from inhalation of sewer gases last month while working on a sewer pump.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.