AUGUSTA — Firefighters rescued one person Thursday night after a fire broke out inside a Water Street apartment.

Battalion Chief David Groder said a report of the incident indicates that a man was calling for help when firefighters arrive at the two-story apartment building at 386 Water Street. The unidentified man, who was unable to escape due to heavy smoke, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

“Our members removed him,” Groder said. “The guy was still in the building and they had to take carry him down the stairs. There was enough smoke so the guy couldn’t get out on his own.”

The fire came in as a smoke alarm, and an emergency 911 call, around 7:30 p.m., Groder said. Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the flames.

The fire caused about $25,000 in smoke, water and heat damage.

The two people who live in the apartment were assisted by the Red Cross. The, which is owned by Tony Loiko, building was boarded up on Friday.

Firefighters from Togus, Hallowell and Winthrop responded to assist.

The fire started on a kitchen stove, Groder said.

“The male fell asleep,” Groder said. “He didn’t notice the fire and he was unable to escape on his own.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.