SKOWHEGAN — It’s been almost four months without developments since former Skowhegan body builder Aaron L. Jones was shot to death in the southern Maine town of Lebanon.

It could be another two months before any new information is released in the case, Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said.

Jones’ death remains an open case, according to police. No one has been charged.

Police said there were three people in the house the night of Oct. 20 — Jones, 38, and Joseph and Sarah Turner, the couple who lived in the home.

No one else was involved in the shooting.

McCausland said that Lt. Brian McDonough, who heads up the Major Crimes Unit in southern Maine “tells me this case remains under state police review and no conclusions have been arrived at. I suspect it will be another month or two before we get to that point and no further details on the incident are being released until the review has been completed.”

McDonough could not be reached for comment on the case.

State police detectives said the shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. at 213 Oak Hill Road. The state medical examiner’s office determined that Jones died of multiple gun shot wounds.

Police are working with the attorney general’s office on the investigation. Evidence has been sent to the state police crime laboratory to be analyzed, but no details have been released.

McCausland said police are not commenting on what sort of gun was used or if the Turners were injured during the incident.

Efforts to reach the Turners during the past several weeks have been unsuccessful.

Jones, a 1991 Skowhegan Area High School graduate, was a 260-pound body builder and weightlifter who was 5-feet, 8-inches tall. He trained for a time at Skowhegan Sports & Fitness.

Jones pleaded guilty and paid a $1,000 fine in 2001 for assaulting a police officer in Winslow.

Jones’ mother, Colleen Jones of Skowhegan, has declined to comment on the case.

In Jones’ obituary, published in the Morning Sentinel Oct. 26, family members said he was at peace and “no longer suffering from the mental illness that ultimately took his life despite our untiring efforts.”

He enjoyed playing basketball, baseball and soccer until the age of 12, when he began body building, according to his obituary. In 1990, he won his first competition, Mr. Teenage Vacationland, and then traveled around the United States competing.

Following several years in Las Vegas, he moved to Virginia, where he developed Cottage Lake Wildlife Refuge and Animal Sanctuary.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.