FARMINGTON — A 76-year-old man faces several charges after he allegedly led police on a high- speed chase in his minivan Wednesday afternoon.

Robert F. Mason reached speeds of about 95 mph, narrowly missed hitting two cars, swerved around traffic at a stoplight, cut across a lawn and nearly hit a police cruiser as he headed toward the University of Maine at Farmington campus, according to Farmington Police Officer William Tanner.

Police stopped chasing Mason and later arrested him at his son’s home.

Family members told police that Mason had not been taking the medications prescribed to him for mental and health conditions, Tanner said.

The chase began when Mason’s minivan was clocked at 70 mph – which is 30 mph above the limit – around 4 p.m. headed west on U.S. Route 2. He then attempted to pull into the Farmington Ford dealership to hide from a police cruiser, Tanner said.

Mason sped away when the cruiser, which had its siren and lights on, pulled into the dealership. During the chase Mason narrowly missed hitting two cars driving on the highway, Tanner said.

Mason drove northeast toward downtown Farmington and stopped briefly before swerving around traffic at a stoplight. He turned right onto Farmington Falls Road where the chase reached speeds of about 95 mph, before Mason slowed significantly and turned left onto High Street, Tanner said.

Another police cruiser had joined the pursuit at this point. Mason turned onto a side road and pulled into a driveway at his son’s house, where he drove across the lawn and nearly hit one of the cruisers before driving off toward the University of Maine at Farmington campus, Tanner said.

The police cruisers discontinued their pursuit and spoke with Mason’s wife and family members, who agreed to call 911 to report when Mason returned home. He was arrested a short time later at his son’s house.

Mason was taken to Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington where he refused to be evaluated by doctors, which was a requirement for him to be admitted to the veterans medical center in Augusta, where he is a patient, Tanner said.

Mason was taken to Franklin County Detention Center in Farmington. He was charged with eluding an officer and criminal speed.

Tanner said Thursday that he planned to meet with the Franklin County District Attorney’s Office to discuss the conditions of releasing Mason, the status of his license and details about future court dates.

David Robinson — 861-9287
[email protected]


Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.