MONMOUTH — An overheated electric cord in a basement led to a small fire at a home Friday at 247 Back Street, said town Fire Chief Daniel Roy Jr.

The homeowners were on a trip during the fire, which Roy said was reported by a dog-sitter just after 6 p.m. Friday evening and started near laundry appliances.

“The neighbor just happened to check on the dogs and reported it,” Roy said. “We were fortunate in that respect.”

Roy said firefighters needed only 30 gallons of water to put the fire out at the two-story house, which he said should be habitable.



At 5:37 p.m., police responded to traffic complaints on Leighton Road. Jason Cote, 32, of Belgrade, was arrested on a warrant.

7:14 p.m., police responded to a report of missing person on Kamich Drive. A 15-year-old was arrested on a probation hold.

7:57 p.m., harassment was reported on Wabon Street.


At 1:36 a.m., disorderly conduct was reported on Washington Street. Police arrested Paul Plourd, 22, of Augusta, on a warrant.

2:23 a.m., a motor vehicle accident was reported at the intersection of Whitten Road and Western Avenue.

10:29 a.m., theft was reported at Damon’s Quick Stop on Civic Center Drive.

2:54 p.m., theft was reported at Walmart on Civic Center Drive.

4:15 p.m., theft was reported at American Eagle Outfitters on Stephen King Drive.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.