MERCER — An elderly man who was critically injured in a fire last week, apparently because he was smoking while on oxygen, is not well enough to speak to authorities about the incident.

“Right now it doesn’t appear to be anything other than a tragic accident,” said Sgt. Ken Grimes, of the State Fire Marshal’s Office. “We put our work on hold so that he can concentrate on getting better.”

Wesley Hewett, 84, of Yorkie Lane, was taken to a hospital in Boston for treatment after being rescued from his home late on the night of July 25, according to a statement from Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

The fire was put out quickly, with minimal damage to the home.

Grimes said smoking while on oxygen can be dangerous, as the oxygen enhances the flames.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.