MANCHESTER, N.H. — The trial of a New Hampshire man charged with kidnapping and torturing a teenage boy is being postponed because his lawyer is withdrawing from the case.

Jury selection was set to begin this morning in the case of 20-year-old Ismael Bangs of Manchester. Police say Bangs stripped his victim, burned him with a hot knife and glued his lips shut in July 2011. Police say the assault was recorded by cell-phone video.

Defense attorney Kenneth Bernard told the judge this morning that communications with his client had broken down.

The judge says she expects the trial will be postponed at least two months.

Earlier this year Bangs’ co-defendant Yvens Luclaise was found guilty of being an accomplice and was sentenced to a minimum of 10 years in prison.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.