AUGUSTA — A Middle Road man was burned and the mobile home where he was living destroyed by a Tuesday night fire, according to Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette.

The man, whose name was not made public Tuesday night, was taken to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta, Audette said, with what he believed were non life-threatening injuries.

“They (MaineGeneral) typically wouldn’t take a bad burn,” Audette said.

The mobile home, at 176 Middle Road, is just off the road on a low ridge, about a half-mile from Old Belgrade Road. It was a total loss, Audette said. The fire was first reported at 9:12 p.m., according to an Augusta fire dispatcher.

The fire began in one end of the building and destroyed the roof over that portion, the chief said. He did not know the cause of the fire. The state fire marshal’s office was called to investigate, which is routine when someone is hurt, according to Audette.

At 10 p.m., firefighters were still putting out flare-ups inside the home, and Audette characterized the building as too dangerous to enter at that time.

However, he said the fire was contained to one end of the home.

“It had significant headway once we got here,” the chief said.

No firefighters were injured fighting the fire as of 10:10 p.m., Audette said.

Crews from Augusta, Sidney, Chelsea and Togus responded to the scene, the additional departments providing water trucks, Audette said. Winthrop, Hallowell and Chelsea fire departments covered the city’s fire stations during the call.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.