The 48-year-old man who was Tased and removed from Lawrence High School Wednesday morning reportedly assaulted two hospital staff members in Waterville later that evening, police said.

Charges are pending against Fairfield resident Ronald Brousseau, who was being evaluated at MaineGeneral Medical Center’s Thayer campus in Waterville after he was arrested at Fairfield’s high school.

About 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, two officers responded to a call from the hospital, but staff members had restrained Brousseau by the time they arrived, according to Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey of the Waterville Police Department.

Rumsey said one member of the staff reported having a lump on the back of her head as a result of the assault. Another hospital employee also reported being assaulted by Brousseau, who remains in the hospital’s care.

“When released from his medical care, we anticipate charging Mr. Brousseau with one count of assault on an emergency medical care worker and one count of simple assault,” Rumsey said.

Rumsey said that he was not sure when Brousseau would be released from the hospital.

Wednesday morning, Lawrence High School staff questioned Brousseau after he was found walking in the school’s hallways. They determined he had no legitimate business at the school but when they asked him to leave, he refused.

Police were called, arriving to find Brousseau, who was unarmed, leaving the building. When officers ordered him to leave school grounds, he refused and then resisted arrest, according to Fairfield police Sgt. Matt Bard.

Officer Shanna Blodgett used a Taser on Brousseau as she took him into custody. He was charged with criminal trespass and resisting arrest.

Brousseau suffered no injuries as a result of the arrest, Bard said, but police took him to the hospital for reasons he would not disclose. While there, Brousseau made bail, Bard said.

Brousseau was being evaluated by hospital staff when the alleged assault happened, according to hospital spokeswoman Diane Peterson.

Rumsey said Brousseau will also be charged with violating a condition of release because he was under a conditional bail release for charges related to his visit to the high school.

Brousseau’s bail conditions mandate he stay off school grounds. He has also been given a trespass order not to return to the school, Bard said.

Bard said that while Fairfield police have found no connection between Brousseau and the school, Brousseau’s family confirmed that he lives about a half-mile from the school on Lawrence Avenue.

The school did not have a lockdown while Brousseau was there, but students were kept in their classrooms for a few minutes while he was dealt with, school officials said.

Brousseau is scheduled to appear in Skowhegan District Court on Feb. 20.

Matt Hongoltz-Hetling — 861-9287
[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.