MADISON — A family of six was left homeless Monday evening after a fire being investigated by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Fire Chief Roger Lightbody said the half of the house at 497 Main St. burned down and the rest is damaged beyond repair from smoke and water.

“It’s pretty much totaled,” he said.

The firefighters responded to a 911 call at 5:45 p.m. from homeowner Jenny Morales, who entered the house and found the kitchen engulfed in flames.

When firefighters arrived, Lightbody said, the flames were visible from the street and a crowd of neighbors had gathered outside.

“The sky and the surrounding area was all lit up,” he said.


He said the nearest neighbor’s house was about 100 feet away and was not in danger from the flames.

The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen and spread to the other parts of the house.

The house belonged to Al and Jenny Morales, who lived there with their four children. No one was injured and no one in the family was home at the time of the fire, Lightbody said.

The family’s cat and dog both died in the fire. Lightbody said the family told responders that the pets were missing, and firefighters found both of the animals’ bodies in one of the bedrooms.

About 20 firefighters from Madison and Anson fire departments went to the fire scene. Lightbody said firefighters had the fire under control in about 10 minutes and left the house around 8:30 p.m.

Kaitlin Schroeder– 861-9252
[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.