JAY — A discarded cigarette is being blamed for an apartment house fire in Jay that left nine people without a home.

Firefighters say the back of the building was burning out of control when they were called to the three-story apartment house at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Booker told the Sun Journal of Lewiston the fire started on a first-floor back porch.

Firefighters from seven towns assisted in putting out the fire, but the building was total loss. Nobody was hurt.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.