WINTHROP—A fire inside a refrigerator Friday left a grocery list full of burnt food.

Fire Chief Dan Brooks said the fire reported at 7 a.m., at 15 Audet Court, was originally believed to have spread into the duplex, but arriving firefighters said the refrigerator and the food suffered the worst of the damage.

Brooks said the fire filled the building with smoke, which firefighters removed with fans before tenants returned.

Brooks said he had never seen a fire break out inside a refrigerator. He said it appears to have started in the fan between the freezer and refrigerator.

“Unfortunately they had just gone grocery shopping,” Brooks said. “It was full of food.”

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.