MOUNT VERNON — A fire that destroyed a Belgrade Road home early Saturday morning was sparked by a badly installed stove pipe.

Sgt. Ken Grimes of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire started in the living room near a wood stove and was caused by the improper installation of the flue pipe.

There are no charges connected to the fire, which was ruled accidental, Grimes said.

Nobody was injured in the fire, which broke out around 3 a.m. Saturday inside the mobile home at 631 Belgrade Road. The home suffered extensive damage, Grimes said. He did not know how many people live there, the names of the occupants or owners, or if the home was insured.

Grimes said at least one person was home and awake when the fire broke out.

State Police Trooper Scott Duff was called to the scene after Mount Vernon firefighters found marijuana inside the home. Duff determined no crime had been committed because the tenant is a registered patient, as well as a caregiver, who has a medical certificate from the state to use marijuana.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.