PITTSTON — Firefighters credit smoke detectors for saving an East Pittston Road man from a Sunday fire sparked by a dirty dryer vent.

Pittston Fire Chief Jason Farris said the fire at 410 East Pittston Road damaged a section of floor in the rented mobile home, but the structure itself was saved.

“It was a great stop,” Farris said.

Nobody was injured in the fire, which was reported around 6:15 p.m.

Farris said firefighters arrived to find flames in the floor and bottom part of a wall around a dryer and fire in a 10-by-2-foot section of floor underneath the trailer. Firefighters attacked the flames from inside and underneath the trailer.

“Probably within 10 minutes we had it under control with about 300 gallons of water,” Farris said.


The chief said the dryer vent hose, which ran through the floor underneath the trailer, had not been cleared. The vent inside the hose smoldered for about a day.

“It got oxygen somehow and caught fire,” Farris said.

The fire occurred near electrical wiring and a propane line that will have to be checked and repaired before anyone occupies the home, Farris said.

Two men, a father and son, rent the home. Farris said the son, who was home alone, noticed the lights flicker but was unable to find a cause for the interruption. The man went to bed and fell asleep. He was awakened by smoke detectors. He fled the home and called the fire department. Farris said the fire occurred right under the man’s bedroom and the doorway that is the bedroom’s only exit.

“If those smoke detectors had not gone off, it could have been a much worse outcome,” Farris said. “I’m confident the smoke detectors saved his life or at least prevented him from being injured.”

Firefighters from Randolph, Farmingdale and West Gardiner assisted Pittston crews, Farris said. Firefighters were on the scene less than an hour.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.