SABATTUS — The Sabattus Fire Department spent the weekend battling two fires that broke out within about an hour of each other.

Chief Mark Veilleux says crews were called to a home one Shore Drive at around 3:40 p.m. Sunday.

Veilleux tells the Sun Journal the homeowner arrived to find her house filled with smoke.

Veilleux says it appears to be accidental, possibly caused by an electrical problem.

While still on the scene at Shore Drive, Veilleux said one of his firefighters was on his way to the station when he saw smoke coming from a home on High Street and called it in.

No one was in the home but firefighters rescued a family dog.

There were no injuries.

Both fires remain under investigation.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.