MADISON — The body of a 21-year-old Anson man was recovered from the Kennebec River Friday morning after he drowned while swimming in the river the previous night, according to authorities.

Jordan Cummings was fishing with two friends near a public boat launch on Nathan Street and entered the water at around 7:30 p.m. Thursday, said Lt. Kevin Adam of the Maine Warden Service.

Cummings was trying to swim to a rope swing on the opposite side of the river, Adam said.

“He was planning to swim to the other side of the river but started to experience difficulty,” he said.

One of Cummings’ friends, Cory Miller, swam in and tried to save him, but Cummings never resurfaced, said Adam.

“Cory went in the water and made multiple dive attempts to save his friend,” said Anson Fire Chief Jeremy Manzer, one of the first people on the scene Thursday night. “When we got there we had to pull him out of the water to make sure we wouldn’t have a second victim.”

Witnesses called for help and Anson and Madison firefighters responded to the scene, Adam said. Searches of the river and along the shore were unsuccessful Thursday night, and the search was suspended, then resumed again on Friday morning.

Adam said the water was about 12 feet deep in the location where Cummings was swimming. His body was recovered by rescue crews at 8:55 a.m. Friday.

Cummings is the son of Dusty Burns and Joel Cummings, a sergeant with the Skowhegan Police Department.

“It’s a sad situation,” said Skowhegan Police Chief Ted Blais, who was at the scene Friday morning. “I’m just at a loss for words. Our department is a pretty tight-knit group and Sgt. Cummings has been part of that for many years. It is something that is going to affect everybody.”

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.