RICHMOND — A mother suffered burns to her hands, but got her 6-month-old baby girl safely out of their Brunswick Road home when a fire started in the kitchen on Thursday.

Fire Chief Matt Roberge said Jobinn McDowell, 35, and her baby were the only ones home when a fire sparked by a deep fryer on the stove started in the kitchen at 607 Brunswick Road, U.S. Route 201.

McDowell was taken by North East Mobile Health Services ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta with burns to small areas of her hands, according to Roberge.

The baby was not injured, but was taken to the hospital with McDowell. Roberge said the baby and mother were taken to the hospital largely as a precaution to be checked out.

A hospital spokesman said Thursday afternoon McDowell had been treated and released.

Police Chief Scott MacMaster said a neighbor called 911 at 7:39 a.m. after seeing smoke and McDowell leaving the home.

Roberge said the fire was contained to the kitchen, though the rest of the ranch-style single story structure sustained smoke damage. Roberge said an investigator with the Office of the State Fire Marshal determined the fire was accidental and was started by a deep fryer on the stove.

Roberge said a small fire was burning in the kitchen in the area of the stove when firefighters arrived at the home.

The home is owned by Joseph and Gloria McDowell, according to town assessing records.

Roberge said the homeowner said the home was not insured.

A pet cat died in the fire, but Roberge said a dog and multiple other cats were rescued.

Roberge said the kitchen was heavily damaged by fire, but the rest of the home sustained minor damage, and the home should be livable with some work.

Firefighters from Richmond, Litchfield, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Dresden and Gardiner responded.

Keith Edwards — 621-5647

[email protected]

Twitter: @kedwardskj

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.