AUGUSTA — An 18-year-old city man arrested Monday on several charges that included elevated assault on a pregnant woman had an encounter with police here two years ago when he was charged with drug trafficking and identified himself to police using an older brother’s name.

Stephon James Davis Jr., then 16, who had addresses in Belgrade and in Brooklyn, N.Y., was found hiding under a bed in a Water Street apartment during a police raid in December 2012. After he was identified correctly via fingerprint records in a national database, police learned from a juvenile warrant that he had fled a low-security jail in New York.

Davis pleaded guilty to trafficking in heroin in January 2013 and was ordered to serve 30 days in jail, a sentence that allowed him to be turned over to New York police almost immediately. According to police at the time, Davis in 2012 had sold 10 bags of heroin to a confidential informant cooperating with authorities on Hulin Road in Belgrade Lakes and sold another 10 bags from a woman’s Water Street apartment where he hid.

On Monday, city police charged him with assaulting the mother of his unborn child, plus counts of criminal threatening with a weapon and theft.

This week police said they went to a Littlefield Street address after receiving a complaint Sunday night about a man outside displaying a firearm recklessly. The suspect went into an apartment before police arrived and refused to answer the door or cooperate with the investigation, according to Deputy Chief Jared Mills.

Police identified Davis as the suspect and got a search warrant for the residence. However, Davis was seen leaving the area about 3:30 p.m. in a vehicle that was stopped later near 169 Mount Vernon Ave.

When the search warrant was executed by Augusta police and officers of the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency, Mills said, “Evidence of criminal activity was located.” Davis was charged with criminal threatening with a weapon, theft by receiving stolen property, elevated aggravated assault on a pregnant person and trafficking in cocaine.

“After Mr. Davis was taken into custody, detectives obtained probable cause to believe he assaulted the mother of his unborn child,” Mills said. Police would not release additional details of the alleged assault on Tuesday.

Under Maine law, elevated aggravated assault on a pregnant person is a class A felony and carries a maximum prison term of 30 years.

Davis was taken to the Kennebec County jail, where he was being held without bail. He was expected to be seen by a judge via video from the jail on Wednesday.

“This was a dangerous situation that removed illegal drugs and a stolen firearm from our city streets,” Mills said. “This significant arrest could not have been accomplished without the collaboration between the Augusta Police Department, the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency and the citizens of Augusta who simply refuse to stand for this type of criminal activity.”

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.