BANGOR – Officials say a firefighter was hurt while battling a blaze at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor.

The state fire marshal told WABI-TV the blaze started Wednesday when a worker used a propane torch to melt snow and ice, causing a fire on the roof. The injured firefighter was working under the area when part of the roof collapsed on him.

Officials said firefighter John York suffered wrist and neck injuries.

Firefighters doused the blaze and began clearing the scene shortly before 4 p.m.

None of the school’s 500 students were in the building because it’s school vacation week. WABI-TV said all of the dozen or so faculty and staff made it safely out of the building.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.