WATERVILLE — Police are looking for a man they say led them on a 1 1/2-mile car chase early Monday from Kennedy Memorial Drive to Edgewood Street where he ditched his vehicle and fled on foot.

The man was operating after suspension of his license and violating bail conditions stemming from an arrest for unlawful possession of oxycodone, according to Deputy police Chief Charles Rumsey.

“He’s well-known to us,” Rumsey said later Monday. “He’s not a Waterville resident, but he’s from the area and we anticipate we’ll be able to make contact with him in the next couple of days and arrest him.”

Rumsey did not name the man because he has not yet been charged, but he said when police find him they will charge him with operating after suspension, violating condition of release and failure to stop for a police officer — Class E misdemeanors — and reckless conduct, a Class D misdemeanor.

At 1:13 a.m. Monday, police saw the man in the area and watched him go into the Budget Host Inn parking lot on Kennedy Memorial Drive, so they parked to see what he was doing, Rumsey said.

The man was acting suspiciously, driving around the lot and stopping for a long period of time, and at one point, he tossed something out of the window, he said.


Police Officer Ryan Dinsmore approached him, recognized him from prior dealings and knew that the man had a suspended driver’s license and was out on bail for unlawful possession of oxycodone, according to Rumsey. The man appeared to be under the influence of a substance, so police tried to get him to put the car in park, Rumsey said.

“He put it in neutral and started to roll backwards and officers were concerned he was not in full control of the vehicle,” he said. “As they tried to negotiate through it, he suddenly put it in drive and fled, causing Officer Kyle McDonald to jump out of the way to avoid being hit by the car. The male took off and took a right on Kennedy Memorial Drive.”

Another officer in an unmarked vehicle happened to be in the area and followed the car 1 1/2 miles as it turned on First Rangeway and continued to Edgewood Street.

“The suspect stopped the vehicle, got out and ran on foot,” Rumsey said. “We searched the area, including having a canine team from the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office to attempt to track him, which was unsuccessful.”

Police towed and impounded the vehicle, he said.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.