CONCORD, N.H. – A Michigan man injured during a 2012 hike in New Hampshire must pay for the cost of his rescue, the New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

Edward Bacon of Northville, Michigan, was on a five-day solo hike in September 2012 when he dislocated his hip near the Franconia Ridge and had to be carried for almost four miles over rough terrain in heavy wind and rain.

The state Fish and Game department charged him $9,200 after a judge found him negligent, but Bacon appealed that ruling to the high court, which rejected his argument Thursday.

Bacon argued he was prepared for the conditions, physically capable and had adequately planned his hike. But the state said his preparation was insufficient – he trained in a park with 250-foot hills and some “gravelly” spots – and that he was negligent in trying to jump backward over a ledge after having dislocated his hip five other times. The court also found that he continued hiking despite encountering high winds and rain early in the day.

“We agree with the trial court’s conclusions that the defendant’s injury was foreseeable and directly caused his need to be rescued,” the court said in its unanimous ruling.

In a phone interview, 62-year-old Bacon said the court relied on Fish and Game’s version of events, which he disputes. He said the weather information he received from other hikers that morning indicated that he would have plenty of time to complete his hike before the rain and wind picked up. He also defended his training regimen, saying it was adequate for building strength, and said that contrary to what authorities said, he did not fall but rather dislocated his hip by jumping onto the ledge. He said his doctors had cleared him for hiking and never told him jumping could pose a risk.

“I have no recollection of saying I fell. It’s kind of not fair – I was up there for six hours with a dislocated hip, in pain. Who knows what I said?” he said. “By the time I got to the emergency room, I was totally exhausted and they were pumping painkillers into me.”

Bacon’s rescue in 2012 occurred in dismal weather conditions that included steady rains and fierce winds with gusts up to 80 mph. After reaching Bacon early in the evening, rescuers carried Bacon on a litter down the Falling Waters Trail, a trail typically not used for descents due to its steepness, and arrived at the trailhead at 3:20 a.m. the next morning.

Bacon’s rescue was one of more than 900 search and rescues conducted by Fish and Game between 2006 and 2012 at a total cost of $1.8 million, paid for by fees added to boat and off-road vehicle registrations. Since 2008, the state has been able to bill those found negligent for the cost of their rescues. And since January, the state has been selling $25 “Hike Safe” cards that allow buyers to avoid being held liable if they need to be rescued due to negligence.

A Fish and Game official did not immediately return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Bacon, an automotive engineer whose father grew up in New Hampshire, said he has hiked the state’s mountains hundreds of times and had even considered retiring there. Not anymore, he said Thursday. And while he has hiked the same area of Franconia Notch twice since 2012, he doesn’t know if he will return.

“It has soured me at this point,” he said. “I’m looking at western mountains at the moment.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.