Augusta fire officials say properly working smoke detectors saved a family and their home after an early-morning fire broke out in a clothes dryer.

Deputy Chief David Groder, of the Augusta Fire Department, said nobody was hurt in the fire, which caused only minor damage to the building around the dryer.

“The smoke detectors did work and alerted the occupants,” Groder said.

The fire was reported around 1:20 a.m. at 12 Murray St. Groder said the smoke alarms sounded, waking up the family who lives in the home. Groder was unsure how many people live there.

Initial reports indicated the home was on fire and that people were trapped inside, Groder said.

“When they got there, they found it was much less than that,” he said.

The fire destroyed the dryer and clothes inside, but the family was able to return to the home.

“The homeowner did self-extinguish some of it, which we don’t recommend because of the life safety issue, but it did keep the fire in check,” Groder said.

He said firefighters needed only about 20 gallons of water to extinguish what remained of the fire. Crews were at the scene for less than an hour.

Groder said the fire serves as a reminder that people should use a clothes dryer only when they are home and awake. He also stressed the importance of keeping the lint trap and vents clean.

Most important, Groder said, is the reminder to make sure homes are outfitted with working smoke detectors.

“That’s what made the difference,” he said. “The smoke detectors were activated, and the occupants were able to escape the residence without injury.”

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.