A Litchfield man faces aggravated assault and domestic violence charges in an incident where a gun was fired into the living room floor and he took a vase to the face.

Daniel M. Brown, 38, formerly of Freeport, is free on $5,000 bail pending a hearing Sept. 15 in the Capital Judicial Center.

The court complaint says Brown used a firearm to “intentionally, knowingly or recklessly” cause bodily injury to a woman and that he placed her in fear of injury with the same firearm, both on June 10 in Litchfield.

According to an affidavit by Kennebec Sheriff’s Office Deputy Aaron Moody, the 29-year-old woman fled barefoot to a neighbor’s home across the street and asked for police to be called, saying she had been assaulted by her boyfriend, who had her .40-caliber Sig Sauer pistol.

The woman told the dispatcher that Brown pointed the pistol at her and threatened to kill her and that she smashed a large vase over his face while he held the pistol to her head, Moody’s affidavit said. It also said the woman was covered in Brown’s blood from wrestling with him.

When a dispatch officer telephoned Brown, he said he was fine and no one was assaulted.

Moody said he met the woman at a command post area where officers from Sagadahoc County and from Richmond had arrived to assist and saw fresh lacerations on her forehead and blood on her face.

The woman said she and Brown had been visiting friends in Georgetown and that they argued over his talking to another woman via Facebook. The woman also said Brown was highly intoxicated, which was unlike him, and that she drove their pickup truck home.

She said when they arrived, she threw the keys away from Brown and they scuffled in the yard and later in the living room when he refused to return her cellphone.

The woman said Brown took her pistol from the master bedroom and pointed it at her, telling her to get out. That was when she smashed him in the face with the vase.

When he got back off the floor, she said, he “pushed her to the floor where he attempted to strangle her with one arm around her neck and the other continuing to point the gun at her.”

She said he struck her in the face with the pistol and she grabbed it and pointed it away from herself and pulled the trigger hoping it would stop him.

The round discharged into the living room floor.

She said she then told him she would leave and ran barefoot out the door to a neighbor’s house for help. After speaking to police and being treated by Gardiner Rescue, the woman was driven to a family member’s home in Brunswick.

After the initial conversation with a dispatcher, Brown refused to answer the phone, and deputies waited until morning to attempt further contact, Moody said.

Brown was arrested and taken to Kennebec County jail just after 3 a.m. June 11.

Thomas Carey, the attorney appointed to represent Brown, said Monday that he had no comment on the case at this point.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.