Autopsies completed on the four people found dead in a cabin in Western Maine last month have determined that each died of exposure to carbon monoxide.

A spokesman for Medical Examiner’s Office said the deaths of Brooke Wakelin, 21, and her boyfriend, Keith Norris, 23, both of Attleboro, Massachusetts; and Wakelin’s brother, Matthew Wakelin, 18, and his friend Deanna Lee Powers, 22, both of Mansfield, Massachusetts, were ruled accidental.

Police believe that the four had hooked up a generator to run a refrigerator in the cabin, located in Byron, just north of Rumford in Oxford County. The property is owned by the Wakelin family.

The generator, which was not vented, then ran out of gas while the four occupants were sleeping.

Their bodies were found on July 17 when Brooke and Matthew Wakelin’s father, Mark Wakelin, drove to the cabin to check on them.

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.