A residence hall at the University of Southern Maine’s Gorham campus was evacuated briefly on Wednesday morning after a fire broke out in a student’s dorm room.

According to a statement issued by Chris Quint, USM’s executive director of public affairs, the fire was caused by a student’s fan. The student then unplugged the fan, left the room and closed the door before calling for help. The student was unharmed and there were no injuries.

Gorham firefighters put the fire out and students have been allowed back in the residence hall. School officials said the student’s actions minimized the damage.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.