A Lewiston family was forced out of its home Wednesday when a stove fire gutted the kitchen.

The fire at the home on Mark Street started after a resident left the home, forgetting she had put a pot of oil on the stove and turned it on, said Lewiston fire Capt. Rick Cailler. She returned to the empty home to find smoke pouring out the windows, he said.

The fire, which was extinguished in about 10 minutes, gutted the kitchen and displaced the five residents, Cailler said. No one was injured in the fire.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.