Augusta fire officials credit smoke detectors for a quick response to a Cumberland Street fire Wednesday night.

Fire Chief Roger Audette said nobody was hurt in the fire, which started in a trash can and caused only minor damage in the immediate area.

“There is no doubt that if the detectors were not in place that this would have been a much more significant fire,” Audette said. “I cannot say enough about smoke detectors.”

The fire at 30 Cumberland St., a four-unit apartment building owned by Jean Paul-Fortin, was reported shortly after 8 p.m. after the detectors alerted residents in apartment 4.

“Firefighters were on scene in four minutes and found a fire in a trash can,” Audette said. “The fire was extinguished and the smoke was cleared.”

Battalion Chief Steven Leach said the fire was sparked by an improperly discarded incense candle in a plastic bag being used as a trash container.

“The bag had paper materials and other trash that smoldered and eventually melted a piece of carpet before the smoke alarm sounded,” Leach said.

The trash bag was removed before firefighters arrived, Leach said.

“We did remove a piece of carpet and ventilate smoke from the building,” he said.

Firefighters remained for about 30 minutes to make sure the fire was completely out.

Leach said no charges are being filed in connection with the fire.

Audette said the incident highlights the importance of fire alarms with the approach of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from Oct. 4 to 11.

“This is a good reminder for people to check and maintain their detectors,” he said.

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.