READFIELD — Readfield Historical Society, in collaboration with the Readfield Trails Committee, have announced four history walks for this fall. All walks are are set for 10 a.m.-noon. Participants are encouraged to bring a sandwich if they wish to share lunch with other walkers afterwards. Walkers are encouraged to wear sturdy shoes and a walking stick is recommended.

History walks:

• 29 — Readfield History Walk, Friday, Oct. 2. Case Cemetery; North Manchester Meeting House; Hike into Shedd Pond.

This is a repeat of history walk 10. New information has been discovered since that walk that might be of interest.

The walk will begin at Case Cemetery, Route 17, at East Readfield where Elder Isaac Case built the Case Baptist Meeting House in 1793, according to a news release from the society and committee. The building was moved to Scribner Hill Road in North Manchester in 1839 and when Elder Case died in 1852 he was buried on the spot where his pulpit once was. In 1905 the Baptist Conference of Maine had a memorial tablet erected on that same spot, and it is still there. Walkers will also see the entrance to Case Road — long ago discontinued — where Case built his log cabin in 1795. Although the cabin was near the East Winthrop town line he situated it so he could see his church in East Readfield from his home. From Case Cemetery the history walkers will tour the church, now called North Manchester Meeting House, which is still active though non-denominational now rather than Baptist. Following that tour, those history walkers who wish will hike into nearby Shedd Pond. A monograph researched and written by Dale Potter Clark will be available on the day of this event for a donation, which will be applied to the Readfield “Museum in the Streets” fund managed by Readfield Historical Society. Visit readfieldmaine.blogspot.com to read more about the monograph, titled Rev. Isaac Case, a biography.

Additional history walks:

• 30 — Oct. 16: Fogg and Ladd Homesteads. Dudley Fogg and Simeon Ladd Jr. settled in Readfield about the same time — circa 1805 — on adjacent farms. In 1917 the two families “joined” when Sam Fogg married Inez Turner daughter of Fred and Lydia (Ladd) Turner. The Ladd farmhouse no longer stands but the Fogg house does. Walkers will enjoy the autumn colors from the Fogg Homestead, and a hike through the Fogg Farm Conservation Area and also view where the Ladd homestead once sat. Walkers meet at Gile Hall parking lot no later than 10 a.m. and will car pool from there to the site of the Simeon Ladd homestead.

• 31 — Oct. 30: Place to be announced — stay tuned this one may be spooky,

• 32 — Nov. 13: Readfield Corner to include tours of Dr. Samuel Currier house (Community Library); Lafayette Masonic Lodge; and the old Readfield Grange Hall, where walkers will eat lunch. Meet at Gile Hall no later than 10 a.m. to walk from there.

Anyone wishing to receive email updates about the history walks and other historical classes and events can send requests to [email protected].

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.