AUGUSTA — A Waterville man is behind bars following a low-speed chase Friday morning on Interstate 95 in Sidney, where the speed limit is 70 mph.

Kyle Long, 29, is charged with failure to stop for a law enforcement officer, passing a roadblock, refusing to submit to arrest or detention and violating conditions of release.

He is being held at the Kennebec County jail without bail and is expected to receive a medical evaluation.

According to a news release from Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland, the incident began with a series of reports Friday morning about a black Toyota pickup being driven erratically as it traveled south in the passing lane of I-95 at about 25 mph.

State police closed the southbound lanes.

“The vehicle came to a stop in the passing lane when Trooper John Lacoste approached and asked the driver to exit the vehicle,” McCausland said in the release. He said Long appeared to be impaired or having mental problems.

Two troopers tried to remove Long from the vehicle, but McCausland said Long resisted and an aggressive dog in the pickup prevented troopers from turning off the ignition.

Long then drove away, McCausland said, which began the low-speed chase.

It ended at mile 118 when Major Brian Scott used his cruiser to disable the pickup, which ended up in the median.

At that point, Long was arrested.

An animal control officer with the Augusta Police Department took the dog, which was not injured.

A Maine Game Warden and Department of Transportation personnel arrived to assist police.

According to a report published Sept. 26 in the Morning Sentinel, Long was arrested Sept. 25 in Waterville on a charge of aggravated domestic violence assault.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.