Two people were injured Tuesday night on Little Yarmouth Island in Harpswell when a generator that had been stored in a shed malfunctioned and set the structure on fire. They were taken to a mainland hospital for treatment.

Ben Wallace Jr., chief of the Cundy’s Harbor Fire Department, said a man who lives on the island suffered burns when he attempted to drag the generator out of the shed. A woman was also injured after falling during the incident. Wallace said their injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.

Wallace said there are two year-round homes on the privately owned island and 15 seasonal residences. To reach the island, firefighters had to rely on the generosity of local fishermen since the town does not have a fireboat.

The fire crews used five fishing boats to reach the island, which is about 10 minutes from the mainland, according to Wallace. The fire was reported at 8:30 p.m. Little Yarmouth Island is located off the coast of Cundy’s Harbor in Quahog Bay.

Firefighters from the town’s three village departments were able to prevent the shed fire from spreading to a nearby home and into a wooded area.

Crews from the Harpswell Neck Fire Department, the Orr’s and Bailey Islands Fire Department, and the Cundy’s Harbor Fire Department responded.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.