DETROIT — A local man and his dog escaped a fire early Sunday that destroyed their home at 306 Troy Road, the fire chief said.

The fire is believed to have originated in the chimney of a wood stove in the mobile home, said Fire Chief Don Chute.

Rick Kennedy, the homeowner, and his dog, Hemi, were home at the time the fire started around 6 a.m. Sunday. Kennedy, who was staying at the home of his brother, Larry Kennedy, across the street, said later Sunday that he woke up when the home filled with smoke.

“I’m lucky to be here,” said Rick Kennedy, who said he lost everything in the fire.

The mobile home with additions on it has belonged to the family for about 30 years, and the two brothers had just finished refurbishing it about six months ago when Rick Kennedy moved in.

“I tried to put it (the fire) out, but there was nothing I could do,” he said.

“He told us the smoke is what got him up and that he could see fire around the chimney of the wood stove,” Chute said. “He said it was jumping from the ceiling to the walls.”

The fire is believed to have originated in the wood stove. “It has been warm, and now that it’s getting colder it’s very important that people check their wood stoves,” Chute said.

He said spurts of warm and then cold weather can contribute to the build-up of creosote in chimneys and it’s important for homeowners to make sure they keep up with preventive maintenance.

About 35 firefighters from Detroit, Newport and Plymouth responded to the fire. Firefighters from Dixmont and Pittsfield were on standby.

Kennedy said he does not have insurance and will continue to stay with his brother for now.

“He’s lucky he got out,” Chute said. “It’s Christmas, so I’m sure the community will come together for him.”

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.