An explosion and fire in a Fryeburg garage left one person severely burned Sunday evening.

Fryeburg Fire Chief Ozzie Sheaff said two men were inside the garage transferring fuel from one storage tank to another when something ignited it, causing an explosion.

Both men were able to run out of the garage, but one of them suffered second- and third-degree burns from the fire, which destroyed the building. The other man, who lives in the home on the property at 374 McNeil Road, did not need to be hospitalized.

The burn victim, who is in his 60s and whose name was not immediately released, was transported to Bridgton Hospital. His condition was unavailable Sunday night.

Sheaff said the cause of the fire, which broke out around 6:30 p.m., is being investigated by the state fire marshal’s office.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.