AUGUSTA — A former Chelsea woman will spend an initial year in prison after being convicted of aggravated assault and theft in which an accomplice beat a man in the head with a baseball bat in an effort to take his wallet.

Sarah R. Negrete, 32, now of Fairfield, was sentenced last week to five years in prison, with all but the first year suspended, for the May 25, 2014, incident in Augusta that left the victim with a brain injury and post-traumatic stress.

When Negrete is released from prison, she will be on probation for three years. Negrete, whose first name is spelled as “Sara” on some court documents, and a codefendant, Corey Dionne, now 26, was ordered to pay $38 restitution for the benefit of Jacob Walmer, the victim.

In exchange for Negrete’s guilty pleas, the state dismissed a robbery charge.

Police found evidence on Negrete’s phone that she was setting up Walmer for the attack.

Negrete also is accused more recently of stealing checks and a debit/credit card of an 84-year-old woman in Winslow. Those offenses allegedly occurred while Negrete was free on $10,000 cash bail on the charges relating to the baseball bat attack.

Negrete, who is at the Maine Correctional Center in Windham, is scheduled to return to the Capital Judicial Center for a hearing on charges that include one count of misuse of identification, three counts of theft by unauthorized taking and two counts of violating conditions of release, which the state says occurred Sept. 28 to Oct. 7, 2015, in Waterville and Winslow.

In the lead-up to the baseball bat attack, Negrete met Walmer at a nightclub on Water Street in Augusta and asked him to walk her home, according to the police report. When she turned into an alley at the back of her Water Street apartment, Dionne attacked him with the bat, police said.

Walmer spoke at Dionne’s sentencing hearing July 30, 2015, saying he was a two-tour combat veteran who moved to Augusta thinking it was a peaceful place to live. Now he has to live with the results of the attack. Hospital personnel told Walmer at the time that he was lucky he had not bled to death, he said.

Dionne is serving four years in prison, and an additional four years of the prison term was suspended. He was ordered to serve three years of probation. The sentence also covers a conviction for aggravated trafficking in heroin.

In a separate hearing last week, also at the Capital Judicial Center, a former Queens, New York, man pleaded guilty to arson in which a vacant building in Vassalboro was set on fire on Oct. 6, 2015.

DeVaughn A. James, 23, most recently of Augusta, was sentenced to an initial three years in prison, and the remainder of the 10-year prison term was suspended. When he gets out of prison, he will be on probation for three years.

He also pleaded guilty to trafficking in prison contraband and was sentenced to a concurrent two-year prison term for that offense, which occurred Nov. 9, 2015, in Augusta.

In exchange for those pleas, a number of charges against James were dismissed: a related arson count, operation of a vehicle without a license, aggravated criminal mischief and several drug charges.

Also last week, a 48-year-old Waterville man pleaded guilty to failing to pay taxes or file returns from 2010 to 2014, and he was ordered to pay $22,271 restitution.

Wayne Gendreau was ordered to serve an initial 60 days and the remainder of a 364-day jail sentence was suspended. He is to report to jail May 23 to begin the jail portion of the sentence. Gendreau also was placed on administrative release for one year. The offenses occurred in Waterville.

Gendreau’s attorney, Thomas Nale Jr., said Monday the case involved Gendreau’s personal taxes.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.