A small storage barn at a Cedar Street home in Kingfield was destroyed in a fire Saturday morning that may have been caused by an electrical heater, a fire official said.

Assistant Fire Chief Fred Nichols said Monday morning that the fire was reported about 6:20 a.m. There were no injuries reported, and the building was unoccupied at the time of the fire, he said. The barn was on property owned by Michael Tufts and was at least 700 feet away from a nearby home, according to Nichols.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, but the building was destroyed, Nichols said. Crews had trouble with ice on the road, which complicated its response, he said. Crews from Kingfield, Carrabassett Valley and New Portland responded to the blaze.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.