Two area men are free on bail this week after one allegedly took police on a chase Sunday at more than 90 mph through Somerset County, crashing twice, and the other allegedly fought with an officer once the pickup truck finally was stopped and the driver fled on foot.

Reeve A. Scribner, 27, of Skowhegan, was arrested Wednesday at his home on five charges related to Sunday’s chase and crashes, and he was tracked down by a license plate left at the scene of the second crash, according to James Ross, chief deputy of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office. He said that Scribner’s arrest was delayed because the holiday weekend slowed the warrant process.

Scribner’s passenger, Justin Eugene Taylor, 27, of Carrabassett Valley, was arrested on charges that he hindered Scribner’s apprehension.

The events leading to Scribner’s arrest began when the regional dispatch center in Skowhegan received a call reporting that a vehicle was operating erratically, heading south, about 3:30 p.m. Sunday on U.S. Route 201 in The Forks. About 30 minutes later, another report of an erratic vehicle, a black 1999 Ford F-250 pickup truck, was taken from Moscow, also on U.S. 201.

As Deputy Isaac Wacome was responding to those calls, another call came in reporting the same type of vehicle had been involved in a crash on U.S. 201 in Solon, Ross said. The truck had struck a utility pole and kept going.

A short time later the communications center received a report that the same truck was involved in another crash on French Hill Road in Solon. That crash also involved a utility pole, which was snapped off, Ross said.

The driver again fled the scene, but a registration plate from the truck remained at the crash site.

Cpl. Gene Cole, of the sheriff’s office, who was also responding to the crash reports, encountered the Ford truck reportedly traveling at a high rate of speed on East Madison Road in Madison, Ross said. The truck appeared to have extensive damage to the front end.

“Cole activated his blue lights and siren in an attempt to stop the vehicle, which he clocked on radar doing 90 mph in a 45 mph zone,” Ross said.

As he tried to stop the truck, Cole said it pulled over and the driver got out and ran into the woods. Taylor, the passenger, who appeared intoxicated, according to Cole, remained in the truck.

Maine State Police Sgt. Matt Casavant responded with a tracking dog, but the trail faded and the driver, later identified as Scribner, got away, Ross said. He said Taylor became combative with police and was arrested.

Scribner was arrested Wednesday at his home. He is charged with leaving the scene of a property damage accident, operating after suspension, driving to endanger, failing to stop for a police officer and exceeding the speed limit by 30 mph or more. Taylor is charged with failing to give notice of an accident by the quickest means possible, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and hindering apprehension or prosecution.

Neither of the men was injured. Both men were released on bail from the county jail. It is unknown if the men have lawyers.

Alcohol is believed to have been a factor in the incident, Ross said. Deputies Joe Jackson and Chelsea Merry assisted with this investigation.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]


Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.