SOUTHWEST HARBOR — The Coast Guard rescued four fishermen early Wednesday after the fishing vessel Lydia & Maya started taking on water about 40 miles south of Southwest Harbor.

The Coast Guard received a broken transmission at about midnight from a crew member aboard the vessel saying it was taking on water. A distress signal soon followed, indicating the crew was in the water, a Coast Guard news release said.

Coast Guard Station Southwest Harbor launched a boat crew, and Air Station Cape Cod launched a MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter.

The helicopter arrived at about 2 a.m. and found four people in a life raft shooting off flares and using a signal light. The helicopter lowered a rescue swimmer, and the fishermen were hoisted into the helicopter.

The Coast Guard said the Lydia & Maya’s crew suffered mild hypothermia and were taken to Bar Harbor airport for medical attention.

“The weather conditions were not ideal for searching,” Chief Petty Officer Aaron Clendaniel said. “The Lydia & Maya crew did a great job making sure their safety supplies were in good working condition, and that is what allowed us to find them so quickly.”


The fate of the 71-foot fishing vessel is still under investigation. The Coast Guard did not have the names of the crew members rescued Wednesday, a Coast Guard dispatcher said.

The Lydia & Maya lists Boston as its port of call, although the trawler has been regularly moored at the Portland Fish Pier over the years. It is owned by a Scarborough company, Lydia & Maya Inc. A man who answered the phone at Lydia & Maya Inc. Wednesday said he had no comment and didn’t know anything about what had happened earlier in the morning.

In July, the captain of the Lydia & Maya was arrested in Boston after allegedly threatening a Brunswick man with a machete. Police said Stephen Thuotte, 54, of Porter, held a machete against the neck of another man at the Boston Fish Pier. Thuotte was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon against someone 50 or older, a felony under Massachusetts law.

In 2013, the boat’s captain at the time, 47-year-old Martin Gorham, was lost at sea after falling off the fishing vessel in rough winter seas off Cape Ann in Massachusetts.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.